Zeus "conversion"

Redanthalas

Angehender Modder
Hey guys, I would like to build this repeater handgun, based on the design of the Rival Zeus, but I don't have too much experience with electronics.

I need a pair of good motors for the flywheels and one or two others, that can spin the fake barrels around the real barrel. I already have a couple of 10,8V accumulators, which I would like to use as source, but if need be, I'll get a different one.
Thanks for your recommendations.

IMG_20201204_051415.jpgIMG_20201203_013712.jpg

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Crash Override

Auf Blasted zuhause
for the "flywheels", motors in the format "130" should be good - like Out of darts Kraken / Bp Max, Fang Revamped etc. when you set up the barrel with, like, "bearrings", then one more (but for that, a normal motor were a good idea - and he must maybe "slowed a bit down") for the barrels. for something like that idea, there's a few blasters out there from Dartzone, who can spend a bit of they'r technic for that. then you can use the 10,8V - Accus for sure.

from the drawing i'm a bit curious - should that look like a "black powder" - Gatling? it looks like there's a "fuse" to burn the black powder, but then a seal from Warhammer and a iron cross... oh, and i mean, i see something, what can look like a flintlock.

Redanthalas

Angehender Modder
for the "flywheels", motors in the format "130" should be good - like Out of darts Kraken / Bp Max, Fang Revamped etc. when you set up the barrel with, like, "bearrings", then one more (but for that, a normal motor were a good idea - and he must maybe "slowed a bit down") for the barrels. for something like that idea, there's a few blasters out there from Dartzone, who can spend a bit of they'r technic for that. then you can use the 10,8V - Accus for sure.

from the drawing i'm a bit curious - should that look like a "black powder" - Gatling? it looks like there's a "fuse" to burn the black powder, but then a seal from Warhammer and a iron cross... oh, and i mean, i see something, what can look like a flintlock.
Yeah, the repeater guns from WH are essentially blackpowder gatlings, and while the designers don't really give much care for it plausibly working, I do.
I figured a matchlock igniting some sticky mix of ignition powder with flamable paste, as it touches the pan, makes more sense then any kind of flintlock mechanism striking at a lock spinning by. Easier to synchronize at any any rate.

The iron cross is one of the symbols of the Empire.

Hoeni

Auf Blasted zuhause
Don’t use fangs as motors. They won’t work with your voltage for long.

looking at the weight you try to rotate - if you aren’t using a gear system but rather do that direct drive, rather use a 380 or 400 size motor even. There are quite some that work very long with 10-12v. The Zeus has originally a 300sized motor in it. There is not much advantage to use a 130sizw motor that are used for flywheels in you case for the rotation part. I would rather look at a lower turning, higher torque 300-400 motor.

If you want to stick to a smaller
Motor then you could use a buck converter to run it at lower voltage to reduce rpm. However that will jot increase torque.

Redanthalas

Angehender Modder
Don’t use fangs as motors. They won’t work with your voltage for long.

looking at the weight you try to rotate - if you aren’t using a gear system but rather do that direct drive, rather use a 380 or 400 size motor even. There are quite some that work very long with 10-12v. The Zeus has originally a 300sized motor in it. There is not much advantage to use a 130sizw motor that are used for flywheels in you case for the rotation part. I would rather look at a lower turning, higher torque 300-400 motor.

If you want to stick to a smaller
Motor then you could use a buck converter to run it at lower voltage to reduce rpm. However that will jot increase torque.
In universe the rotation is usually started manually, so I need the motor more for maintaining the speed, rather than spin the barrels on their own.
The fake barrels are also pretty light, I will be using rather thin skinned tubes, so the whole weight might be around 300 grams at most, spinning on ball bearings.

Dominik

Auf Blasted zuhause
You will need a gear for rotating the barrels, why not use a geared motor for the barrels, normally they use 12 Volts.

Any electric motor without gear has too much rpm and not enough torque.
The gear is attached to the motor and has an axle withe a bigger diameter. You would only need two gearwheels to reduce the speed further and connect the barrel to the motor.

As to your need for electronic components, a recommendation might be difficult since you're obviously not from Germany and might not be able to get the recommended parts.

Otherwise a very nice project which I will gladly support since I am building a Regulator-based Gatling-Gun myself, with just the Flywheels electically driven, the rest is driven by a hand crank. Just like the original.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Redanthalas

Angehender Modder
I am thinking more along the lines of a rubberwheell, rather than gears. It's more foolproof and as said, the motor would be there more for maintaining the momentum, rather than starting the spinning.

Dominik

Auf Blasted zuhause
A power transmission via friction?

That might work if everything is clean, but a bit of dust on the surfaces and there goes the friction. Unfortunately, flywheel-driven blaster produce quite a bit of dust from the darts and Rival-balls are even worse in that department.

Darts are mostly made of thermoplastic materials which mostly melt themselves to the flywheels, Rival-balls and all off-brand products are made of polyurethane foam which is duroplastic and doesn't melt.
I had a battle on an indoor sports-field once, they used mainly electric Rivals and the floor was covered by yellow dust at the end.

I have seen your blasters so far, but my first instinct would be to keep the mechanics as simple and reliable as possible and would therefore us a transmission with gears

You might want to build a proof of concept where you could compare the reliability of both methods using talcum powder or flour.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Redanthalas

Angehender Modder
Well, there´s the problem of manual spinning of the barrels, which is done in the setting. I fear that a gear transmition could damage the motor.
With a more friction based one, one side of the wheel could be slightly narrower, allowing the drive and barrels to spin, without engaging the motor. And when turned on, it would work more for maintaining the rotation, which it can do, even if there´s a lot of slippage.
It´s also much simpler to construct.

Crash Override

Auf Blasted zuhause
hm. With a slipper clutch it could work with a gear (and you don't need to fear to damage something)... and otherwise the motor weren't damaged, they would work in "roll" like a 1-phase-AC generator.

with "friction" over a rubber wheel, it's near like the gear - it can slip, but there's no guarantee that it does. At the point, when enough "rubber" is on the barrel-side, then the friction would be better - and it wouldn't slip that much, either it would work like a gear - and the motor is even then a generator. Just as sight from a mechanic...

Being blasted

Du bist Dartblaster Fan? Dann lass' dir blasted.de nicht entgehen!
Wir sind die größte deutsche Community rund um Nerf und Dartblaster-Modding.
Finde tausende Anleitungen für Mods, Hilfe bei Problemen, Antworten auf deine Fragen.
Verpasse keine Neuigkeiten aus der großartigen, bunten Welt der Schaumstoff-Guns.
Die Mitgliedschaft im Forum ist kostenlos und die Community freut sich auf dich!

Noch Fragen? Dann kontaktiere uns. Wir sind nur ein bisschen verrückt. ;)

Get blasted

Oben Unten