Question to mod community

MyLastDart

<a href="http://mylastdart.blogspot.co.uk">The Off
Hi guy, I just wanted to get some useful information and feedback for the contacts I made at Hasbro (Development Design Engineers) who said they would love to get some feedback (they read feedback from communities but they can't read them all).

So my question is this - what do you want from next gen blasters? What works good for you? Do you like the simple Nitefinder shell blasters? Or complex firing mechanism/internal blasters? Is a "simple shell" better for you? Or does complex mean raising your game to the next level?

Please give examples of mods you have done, the success you had - or didn't have - why did/didn't it work?

Could I kindly ask for some feedback on the Vortex range? Are you happy with it? What would you like to see the next step of evolution to be? Is it lacking anything specific in its current range?

Thank you!

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

cc-top

Auf Blasted zuhause
From personal experience, I tend to be fascinated by the complex, high capacity blasters but when it comes to actually playing, I find myself turning towards the simpler, more practicable ones. Front loaders and drum blasters for example. I do like clip blasters but since i normally don't take spare clips with me, once the clip is empty I'm left helpless.
I mostly prefer customisable blasters that can be turned from Rifle over to SMG to a compact sidearm. Then reliability is a big thing. Complex blasters (and overly modded ones) tend to leave you in critical situations.
Lately I found all those attributes in the Stryfe which at first didn't interest me much - yeah that contradicts my first statement a bit but thats actually my fault for not carrying spare clips with me;).
The other big point is range and accuracy. High RoF tends to lead into a brainless dart-firing mayhem, as do poor ranges were you have to get so close to your opponent to tag him that suspence and tactics is no longer possible. Increasing range (of course in combination with higher accuracy) could solve that.

hoellenhamster

Auf Blasted zuhause
That is a hard question. I think it is quite important to be able to choose from simple, advanced and mind-bogglingly complex blasters.

While I didn't pay much attention to simple blasters like the Nite Finder when I started out (which wasn't that long ago - I have been into Nerf for only a year now) I now see a certain beauty in it. The simplicity of the mechanism invites you to either do really crazy mods to it (like the massively overpowered Nite Finder rifles you can see on nerfhaven or putting said mechanism into Mavericks, Recons, Furyfires...) or do a simple mod really really well. Without the Nite Finder I don't think I would have ever gotten a measure of how awesome barrel replacements can be.

While we are on the issue of feedback: I don't think the Firestrike will be able to replace the Nite Finder for modding purposes. I was pretty excited when I saw the first pictures of it and I still think it is a really nice blaster. However the way the catch works is going to make it to harder to put it into other shells when compared to the Nite Finder. Also the way the plunger is designed makes it impossible to get a perfect seal - while reducing the wear on the plunger, I know (the stock seal is much nicer than on the Nite Finder of course). The fact that you can't take the plunger rod apart like you could with the Nite Finder makes spring replacements harder than they have to be, too.

On the other hand I like the challenge of modding a complex blaster. But like cc-top said: Reliability is an issue. This is why my favorite blaster is (and probably always will be) the Longshot. If you ask me they did everything right with that concept. I say "concept" because obviously the stock seal isn't optimal and the air restrictor really are too heavy on that thing. If you do modify it however it is one of the most rewarding mod-experiences you can get. The shell is set up in a way that makes it possible to customize your blaster in any number of ways (be it through mods that change its functionality (like integrating your frontgun, making it pump-action or integrating something else) or "just" looks). The way the blaster works also makes most mods worth while and it is complex enough to provide a challenge while not being so complex that it would be frustrating.

You asked for mod-examples. I believe my Longshot to be my nicest blaster: I have done an external pump-action mod to it using the frontgun. It has also also been brass breeched and the boltsled has been reinforced with aluminium sheets.
Coming in second (only considering complexity and extensiveness of mods done) would be my "nitefindered" Fury Fire. While it is not exactly finished I am still immensely proud of that thing. It got Nite Finder Internals, rear-loading brass barrels and a rather mediocre paintjob when compared to some stuff in this forum.

I could give you pictures if you like.

One more thing: If Hasbro is really interested in feedback by the modding community I think the wish most shared would be this: Don't put stuff into your blasters for the sole purpose of making it harder to mod. It makes production more expensive for your, therefore makes it more expensive for us to buy and it won't stop us from modding the blaster. It will just piss us off for an hour or two. I am talking about glued plunger assemblies in the Nite Finder, glue over the plate that is supposed to hold the Stampede's plunger assembly in place and that sort of thing.

Thank you again for the cool work you are doing, MyLastDart!

Zappes

noch neu dabei
Reliability, consistent range, battery-less operation and a magazine that's not overly bulky. There's nothing better than a Praxis combined with the Nitron's 20 disc magazine if you ask me. I am well aware that most nerfers prefer darts, but I never really understood why.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Pelayo

Lernender Modder
Tehnically , better ranges and realiable plastic parts. I think the NERF audience splits in the ones who play nerf wars ( not very popular in Europe) and the one who plays Live Action Role Playing (the majority, and like myself )
My wish is doubtless a spare parts market ( sigths, rails, lamps, buttstocks) and high quality abs internals.
I will also focus in small accessories for people who are making crossovers / replica models, like banana clips or just accurate military looking parts (holsters, slings, scopes) for case modding.

Stan

Angehender Modder
Blasters which are already sandbrushed outside will be the best for the optical modding community. The serial underground needs too much work to prepare it for optical modding either spray or regular painting.

And a sanded, but smooth blaster will definatly not be problem for the regular clients, but a BIG + for the modders.

Nachtmahr

Lernender Modder
The Stryfe is a good example for exaggerated safety mechanisms. The flywheels are quite simple, but all the locks inside make that blaster unreliable, acutally you cannot use it with 18-dart-clips without modifing the internals. The same thing with the ruff cut - the double shot mechanism is not as reliable as it should be. Complex mechanisms are nice, if they work reliable like in the stampede, but are a pain in the arse if they are not.

I would like, if blasters go into the brass-breech-direction. They dont actually need to have a brass breech, but a better air-seal would be nice.

One mod that i tend to do whenever possible, is decreasing the distance between flywheels with expoxy and glass fibre. It increases range and accuracy. Stronger motors are another standard mod for flywheel blasters.

For flywheel clip blasters:
A thight guidance of the darts out of the clip into the flywheels can increase reliabilty and accuracy. The Darts has to be guided from above the clip too.

Pelayo

Lernender Modder
well, the mechanical features wont be a problem in the near future if you keep going the way the new elite series are pointing at. My personly concern as L.A.R.P player is the main "Concept" of NERF. They are just "Toys for children", and their "Safe " ammo is the strongest point for the L.A.R.P community.
If some day a cheap airsoft brand developes a foam darts ammo system, I really do think that Hasbro will loose a great number of L.A.R.P customers ( just think about the old plastic NERF swords , who were no rivals to the popular latex ones).
I would introduce a paralel " Historical serie" focusing some periods.(from pirates, through western, to modern military weapons or Sci-Fi props.)
It maybe not be the Hasbro Spirit, but that would not ignore these existing customers.

flx

Angehender Modder
I'm a fan of the Retaliator internals. Simple but effective and very enduring. What i absolutely do not understand is why the heck the slider is ABOVE the gun. This makes no sense to me, as well as I don't understand why the clip feed on the Rampage and Raider is on the Side of the gun.
Concerning design I won't start talking about the Hail Fire. This is a total fail.

Really great is what the maverick moved to. The Strongarm. Perfect work!

Yeah i know my englich sucks...

maggot

Angehender Modder
My 2 Pence:
Diversity is the key. They should keep providing Direct plunger-Blaster, Flywheel Blaster and of course electronic-powered-direct-plungers!

I agree with Pelayo about the spare-parts-market. There I have two ideas:
1) Small series of spare parts. Pleases those who stay tuned to the resellers. Pleases some blasterfans who will not buy blasters just for one additional buttstock or stuff like that. Won't affect the blasters too much.
2) Make everything available everywhere worldwide ... in times of globalized knowledge provided by the interwebz it is just frustrating to read about 'merika or asian countrys getting nice this and that ... and we are left behind :-/

Design Innovation would be nice too! Stylish Blasters like Buzzbee does them with the quality of Nerf Toys of course! :}

hoellenhamster

Auf Blasted zuhause
My 2 Pence:
Diversity is the key. They should keep providing Direct plunger-Blaster, Flywheel Blaster and of course electronic-powered-direct-plungers!

This is absolutely correct. However when you mentioned diversity and Buzz Bee and forgot to mention air powered blasters I died a little inside (not that I remembered them yesterday). I really want some (new) cool air-powered guns made by Nerf. This is something their competition does extremely well and probably the reason why I love Buzz Bee so much.

Aaron Maier

noch neu dabei
I think they should make a Elite Vulcan just because I like the belt-shooting.It would also be cool if they could make the Guns a bit more realistic :)
Oh,and a red dot would be great :huar:

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

maggot

Angehender Modder
This is absolutely correct. However when you mentioned diversity and Buzz Bee and forgot to mention air powered blasters I died a little inside (not that I remembered them yesterday). I really want some (new) cool air-powered guns made by Nerf. This is something their competition does extremely well and probably the reason why I love Buzz Bee so much.
God damnit ... you're right ... I forgot them ... it has been a long time since NERF released some isn't it?

btw: Aaron ... use the "edit"-thingy please!

Naramag

noch neu dabei
Real target aids aren't allowed in Germany, so a real red dot won't be possible.

Personally, I like the Vulcan and would love to see something like this again. But the tripod is... well, it sucks big time. Something more stable would be nice.
I don't like frontloaders, so anything from clip systems or barrel nerfs are nice.

If they want a real challenge: I would like to see a lever-action rifle like a winchester, with an internal magazine... the possibility to shot serveral darts with just a lever to pull the plunger would be great!
If this kind of a internal magazine could be realized, a shotgun would be nice to. Of course, a remake of the barrel break would be nice too.

m4rsmensch

Erfahrener Modder
Real target aids aren't allowed in Germany, so a real red dot won't be possible.

Red dots are perfectly legal in Germany because it doesnt illuminate the target. Flashlights and laser pointer (mounted on a gun) are forbidden, because they illuminate the target.

MyLastDart

Hi guys, many thanks for all your feedback! I have permission to quote from an email exchange I have with Hasbro Design Team:

"Many thanks Asif, the points raised have been insightful and some have changed our path of development on one blaster in particular. We appreciate everything you do, and it was a pleasure meeting. No hard feelings on the blackeye no"

Keep up the good work guys, and keep it coming :)

MFg
Ash

hoellenhamster

Auf Blasted zuhause
That story with the black eye keeps popping up - are you allowed to tell us what the hell you were shooting at him? Or did you just trip and accidentally pushed him down a stairwell?^^

Regards
León

MyLastDart

Leon - I can only say I did not expect to hit him with a new blaster from over 75 ft <wink>

MfG
Ash

MyLastDart

blog2pic3.jpg

yeah :D

hoellenhamster - you made me laugh so much, thank you!! hahahah <3 you :)

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

MyLastDart

Could I kindly ask for some feedback on the Vortex range? Are you happy with it? What would you like to see the next step of evolution to be? Is it lacking anything specific in its current range?

Thank you!

Being blasted

Du bist Dartblaster Fan? Dann lass' dir blasted.de nicht entgehen!
Wir sind die größte deutsche Community rund um Nerf und Dartblaster-Modding.
Finde tausende Anleitungen für Mods, Hilfe bei Problemen, Antworten auf deine Fragen.
Verpasse keine Neuigkeiten aus der großartigen, bunten Welt der Schaumstoff-Guns.
Die Mitgliedschaft im Forum ist kostenlos und die Community freut sich auf dich!

Noch Fragen? Dann kontaktiere uns. Wir sind nur ein bisschen verrückt. ;)

Get blasted

Oben Unten